Can you think of any families that may be willing to open their home to an amazing international student? Maybe you have friends or family that love teenagers, enjoy trying new recipes, are learning a new language & culture, or would like to visit another country without leaving home. Would you help us by spreading the word through your contacts that we are in need of volunteers that live in Stanly County? You can help by speaking to your friends, neighbors, coworkers and family, posting on Facebook and including my contact information or simply by forwarding the below email to families and friends! You could be the missing link to helping one of our students find their American family! (I will gladly offer you a $100 referral gift if your host family referral passes screening and ends up hosting)
If you decide to open your own home to one of our students, we would love to have you!
Exchange students enrich the lives of their host families, peers, teachers, and the entire community! I am looking forward to hosting Svenja from Germany in the fall (she arrives Saturday!) Most people walk away with a new member of the family, new traditions & menu ideas, great memories, and a vacation invitation from abroad!
Our students bring their own spending money and insurance and totally integrate within the family; they are not a guest! You can expect them to do chores like American teenagers and they participate in all of your usual family activities. A member of your family will earn the Presidential Volunteer Service Award, just for hosting (looks great on college applications & resumes)!
Host family responsibilities:
- Ensure a safe and nurturing home environment for the student
- Provide students with a room (can be shared with a host sibling), his/her own bed, adequate storage, 3 meals per day, and transportation for extracurricular activities
- Give love and support to the student
- Explore cultural differences and similarities
- You do NOT have to have high school kids of your own- all types of families are accepted!!
- Bring own spending money, health & liability insurance
- Have good English skills
- Are highly screened for suitability for the program
- Are excited to meet their American family!
Our Local Coordinators:
- Have received extensive training
- Meet with the students every month
- Often have international or hosting experience
- Provide ongoing support to the host family
You could be the key to connecting me with a family that is perfect for one of our students in need! Thank you!
Education Travel & Culture (ETC)
See the following link below for information on the exchange students that are in need of host families: